As I begin the days ahead as your president, I want to wish you all a very Happy 2019.
AMWPA is a non-profit professional organization of Physicians, Dentists and Allied Health Professionals dedicated to promoting Health welfare and Education of the community in general with special focus on women’s Health and Education.
AMWPA is growing and hopes to sustain its pace Growth needs a set of strategies to guide its program development and prepare for challenges that lie ahead.
Preventive healthcare is our passion and we believe in giving back to community.
Since AMWPA formation in 2008 as A 501(c) 3 non-profit professional organization, AMWPA has served the community with preventive medicine well by all accounts. Now people are appreciatively aware of our existence and our work.
What we did from 2008-2018 briefly is:
AMWPA organized 47 health fairs in DFW metropolis benefiting almost about 4600 patients. We have been providing free lipid, glucose, dental, vision and osteoporosis screening.
We gave free helmets to kids, free reading glasses, free flu shots and vouchers for mammogram to patients. We have also provided nutritional education and stress management. With these services, for the last 3 years, we were able to detect over 700 abnormal findings in patients so far and were able to help them to get further evaluation and treatment.
AMWPA invited the Mayors of Irving, Plano and Arlington to the Health Fairs and Volunteer Appreciation Luncheons as part of our outreach and to spread the awareness of social work done by female Muslim medical professionals. These mayors know us well now.
AMWPA has conducted over 6 CPR classes and trained 120 people and have given 5 defibrillators to community so far.
Merit Awards for Excellence are given to Medical / Dental / Allied students to encourage and support them.
AMWPA has also given merit awards through TMA (Texas Medical Association).
AMPWA has also donated stethoscopes to TCOM.
AMWPA sponsored UT Southwestern Annual Eid dinner.
AMWPA also donates to North Texas and Tarrant County Food Banks to support the “Feed the Hungry Program roughly TWENTY THOUSAND dollars every Ramadan for last 3 years.
AMWPA has donated and supported Asian Breast Outreach Program by regular donations.
AMWPA has launched AMWPA Allied Health Group.
And AMWPA friends group working together to help the community.
By the Grace of Allah SBT, the estimated total of the services provided by AMWPA to community for health and education (2008-2018) is over $ 3,000,000.
Looking forward in 2019, we have lot of AMWPA projects in pipeline
We plan to give more life saving defibrillators to mosques, invest in bone density machines, undertake CPR instructor training and provide CPR equipment. We plan to expand Medical / Dental/ Allied AMWPA merit awards along with TMA (Texas Medical Association) merit awards, provide more stethoscopes for medical students and procure medical equipment for health fairs.
With your generous and enthusiastic help and participation, AMWPA will continue to grow and help the community in 2019 and beyond.
My sincere thanks to all the dedicated professionals and volunteers, including students from UTD, UNT, TCOM, and UTSW Medical Center, as well as nurses from THR who make this possible.
The world is full of bright and generous professionals whose passion for excellence has led them to success in their chosen fields. We like to invite all Female Muslim healthcare Professionals from every field of medicine to join us in promoting excellence in preventive health care.
I invite AMWPA Members, Friends, Allied Health Professionals and Volunteers to walk the journey with us to help the community. You are the lifeblood of our organization and I am proud of your consistent dedication and contributions.
May God bless you and your families,
Dr. Seema Haq, MD
President Executive Committee
American Muslim Women Physicians Association
Who are we?
American Muslim Women Physicians Association (AMWPA) is an organization of Muslim women physicians, Dentists and medical students. Muslim women physicians of Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex (DFW) came together in 1999 and thought that there was a real need to help the community to empower women through improving their health, welfare and to bring Muslim women doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals in communication with each other for encouragement and camaraderie.
It was formally structured in 2008 as American Muslim Women Physicians Association (AMWPA) as a non–profit 501 (C) 3 professional and charitable organization.Read More
What is our goal?
The mission of the American Muslim Women Physicians association is to improve the condition of women’s health, provide a platform for Muslim women in medicine and raise the awareness of issues regarding community welfare.
AMWPA pursues this mission by:
- Providing health education of issues relating to women’s welfare and community health.
- Advancing Awareness of issues relating to women’s welfare and community health.
- Providing resources for the advancement of muslim women in practice of Medicine, Education and Leadership roles.
What we do?
- Professional Networking & MentoringAMWPA holds quarterly meetings where women in medicine come together to exchange clinical experiences, enhance professional contacts, build relationships and encourage each other in balancing family and career responsibilities. This forum also helps in developing next generation leaders. Motivation and leadership activities are undertaken and mentoring is provided to premedical, medical students and those is residency training.
- Health Fairs
Preventive Healthcare is our Passion and this is our motto and we pursue this by holding Health Fairs.
- Patients are screened for Lipids, Diabetes, vision and Osteoporosis.
- Patients are also screened for Depression.
- Dental screening is provided by Baylor College of dentistry and area Dentists.
- Flu shots are provided by Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth and Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano.
- Bicycle Helmets are provided by Hard Hats for Little Heads a program from Texas Medical Association and Texas Family Physicians.
Health fairs are held at the following mosques.
- Islamic Association of North Texas (IANT) Richardson, Texas.
- Dar EL-Eman Islamic Center Arlington, Texas.
- Islamic Center of Irving (ICI),Arlington, Texas
- Madinah Mosque of Carrollton, Texas.
- Islamic Association of Collin County ( IACC) Plano, Texas.
- Preventive Healthcare lectures
Lectures are given by women Doctors, Dentists, Nurse practitioners, Nutritionists, and Physical therapists on different topics like Strokes, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hypertension, Nutrition, Stress Management, Depression, Breast Cancer, Exercise and Women’s Health at different area mosques.