AMWPA Presidential Message
My very dear AMWPA family,
Hope you all had a wonderful end to 2016 and and have stepped into 2017 with fresh resolutions.
Let me take a moment to congratulate you all on making this one of a kind organization a success by your sincere participation in cash and kind. It takes a very special effort to put self aside and work for Community.
Helping and educating folks through our various outlets including health fairs, donation to food banks, scholarships to students etc. is sadaqa jaria and may God reward you all for your continuing support.
This is your organization so please feel free to give suggestions, participate in meetings, nominate yourselves or others for committees. We plan on starting area meetings for brain storming for improving ourselves as well as getting to know each other better this coming year IA.
Last but not least enjoy the camaraderie and networking.
Here' s to another great year ! Together we can accomplish so much!
Talat Kheshgi M.D. , M.S.
AMWPA President Executive Committee.
Who are we?
American Muslim Women Physicians Association (AMWPA) is an organization of Muslim women physicians, Dentists and medical students. Muslim women physicians of Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex (DFW) came together in 1999 and thought that there was a real need to help the community to empower women through improving their health, welfare and to bring Muslim women doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals in communication with each other for encouragement and camaraderie.
It was formally structured in 2008 as American Muslim Women Physicians Association (AMWPA) as a non–profit 501 (C) 3 professional and charitable organization.Read More
What is our goal?
The mission of the American Muslim Women Physicians association is to improve the condition of women’s health, provide a platform for Muslim women in medicine and raise the awareness of issues regarding community welfare.
AMWPA pursues this mission by:
- Providing health education of issues relating to women’s welfare and community health.
- Advancing Awareness of issues relating to women’s welfare and community health.
- Providing resources for the advancement of muslim women in practice of Medicine, Education and Leadership roles.
What we do?
- Professional Networking & MentoringAMWPA holds quarterly meetings where women in medicine come together to exchange clinical experiences, enhance professional contacts, build relationships and encourage each other in balancing family and career responsibilities. This forum also helps in developing next generation leaders. Motivation and leadership activities are undertaken and mentoring is provided to premedical, medical students and those is residency training.
- Health Fairs
Preventive Healthcare is our Passion and this is our motto and we pursue this by holding Health Fairs.
- Patients are screened for Lipids, Diabetes, vision and Osteoporosis.
- Patients are also screened for Depression.
- Dental screening is provided by Baylor College of dentistry and area Dentists.
- Flu shots are provided by Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth and Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano.
- Bicycle Helmets are provided by Hard Hats for Little Heads a program from Texas Medical Association and Texas Family Physicians.
Health fairs are held at the following mosques.
- Islamic Association of North Texas (IANT) Richardson, Texas.
- Dar EL-Eman Islamic Center Arlington, Texas.
- Islamic Center of Irving (ICI),Arlington, Texas
- Madinah Mosque of Carrollton, Texas.
- Islamic Association of Collin County ( IACC) Plano, Texas.
- Preventive Healthcare lectures
Lectures are given by women Doctors, Dentists, Nurse practitioners, Nutritionists, and Physical therapists on different topics like Strokes, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hypertension, Nutrition, Stress Management, Depression, Breast Cancer, Exercise and Women’s Health at different area mosques.